12 December 2014

NINE YEARS

I have literally done this stupid end of the year wrap-up for nine years in a row. What?? Here's the one from last year, and that has links to other ones. And clearly I have to do this next year, too. After that I might retire it.

1. What did you do in 2014 that you'd never done before?  2014 was the year of the house. We almost bought a new one, and my old one FINALLY went away. So, yeah, I'd never gone through a foreclosure before. Hope you enjoy the condo, Ms. Banker-Lady.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions and will you make more for next year? I can't even remember if I made one last year or not, because the end of the year was so insane. My default resolution is to always be awesome, so I think I'll just keep doing that.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Oh my gosh yes. It was the year of the baby! 

4. Did anyone close to you die? Lots of losses, too. So many of my friends have experienced significant deaths in their families over the past 3 months. 

5. What countries did you visit? We stayed right here this year.

6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014? I'm so lucky... I don't really feel like I'm lacking anything. Seriously. At this moment I can't think of one thing I *need*... (which is different from *WANT*!)

7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?  

A. The entire month of October and half of November.... will we move? won't we move?  Packing and staging... and the unpacking and unstaging! 
B. June 21st - Rock the Garden concert for Marshall's birthday.
C. November 3 - the day the condo went away.
D. All of January - March: the aftermath of Dad's stroke. Moving him from the hospital to the rehab center to the assisted living center where he is now. We didn't know if he'd survive... and he's doing so well. Not nearly where he was before the stroke - but so much better than we'd ever dreamed possible.
E. The first week in January - when my new boss started. So thankful for that!


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? I lost 20 pounds... without a ton of complaining, even! (well occasional complaining, and pining for pasta.)

9. What was your biggest failure? Nope.. no such thing as failure. Only the chance to do-it-over.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Let's see... I nearly destroyed my knee again last May, and I had a cold for pretty much the entire month of October. Other than that, things were okay.


11. What was the best thing you bought? My HP Chromebook. Use it every day.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Dad... he is proof that if you are stubborn enough, you can come through to the other side of just about anything.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? All the haters, and so many times this year they were out in full force. Seriously... if you don't agree with someone's ideology, it's okay. You don't HAVE to change their minds or belittle them. Just be quiet and move along. (same as last year)

14. Where did most of your money go? Car, groceries, yarn, books.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The house that we didn't get (damn!). I'm currently REALLY REALLY excited to go to Palm Springs.

16. What song will always remind you of 2014? Jeremy Messersmith's album Heart Murmurs. If it was a vinyl album I would have worn it away from all the replaying. 

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: 
i. happier or sadder? Happier.
ii. thinner or fatter? THINNER.
iii. richer or poorer? Richer. Finally building that savings account back up again.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Listening to live music. We went to a few concerts this year, I'd like to go to more next year. Also: MORE HOCKEY GAMES.


19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Fretting about things over which I have no control. The whole 9 month condo ordeal taught me a lot about being patient and (trying) not to fret.

20. How will you be spending Christmas? With my ragazz' and our family on Christmas Eve...then we're leaving for Palm Springs on Christmas Day! Then I won't see y'all til next year (we're back on 1/1)


21. Did you fall in love in 2014? I fall in love with him every single day. I am the luckiest girl in the world. 
(same as last year and the year before that and that and that.)

22. What was your favorite TV program? We discovered (late) The Newsroom, and I love Parenthood, but that's ending this year. Sad face.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? I hate the word hate (meta!) - but there are a couple people who I'll be glad to never hear from again.


24. What was the best book you read? I read a lot this year, thanks to book club. The Goldfinch was awesome, as was Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I re-read The Great Gatsby and Fahrenheit 451, too.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery of 2014? Lizzo! and Matt and Kim (not my cousins, the musical duo).. 

26. What did you want and get? Last year I answered that I got a Tiffany bracelet. This year's want/get was far more practical: a water softener! 


27. What did you want and not get? We really wanted that house. It's too bad that it didn't work out, but life is still all pretty doggone good.

28. What was your favorite film of this year? St. Vincent was awesome, and we finally got around to seeing This is Where I Leave You. 

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? There was a lot of eating - Ruth's Chris, and Cossetta's, and hockey and bowling... it was action packed. 

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?  Being done with the whole condo sale quicker. That dragged on for WAY too long.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?  I don't think I have one of those anymore.. unless you count lots of pink and awesome bright sneakers.

32. What kept you sane? Marshall. He's my rock!


33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Oh, I don't pay attention to a lot of those people.James Spader is still on my celebrity crush list, though.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?  No politics on cheleblog. We're back to that rule again!


35. Who did you miss? My Papa. I'll always miss him most.

36. Who was the best new person you met? My newest "other mother" Christie! She is completely awesome.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014? Short term pain can equal long term gain, and when you're going through hell, just keep going. All things work out for the best.


38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Come on home, the team you're hitched to has a mind of its own...
But it's just the forces of your past you've fought before.
Come back here and shut the door.

I'm stacking sandbags against the river of your troubles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

HEY! Don't be shy. Please sign your comment.